MY HOUSE KEYS. You’ll find them in the laundry room that sits between the front and rear units of this duplex. To get there:
- Go to the front of the building on Short Avenue. (That’s 12959-1/2 Short Avenue, L.A. 90066. Strangely, the unit with the whole number—12959—is the rear unit, where I live. )
- Walk through the chain link gate, up to the front of the house. If the wooden gate is open, or opens easily, that means my long-time neighbor and friend, Paul Farley, is probably home. In which case, knock on his door, and tell him why you’re there. His phone number, should you need it, is 310-968-2159.
- If the wooden gate appears to be locked, that means Paul may not be home. But you can open it anyway. Just stick your head up onto the porch area, look to your right, and with your left hand, squeeze open the ring (sort of like a key ring) that keeps the latch from opening, push the ring through, and remove it. Then you can open the latch and the gate.
- Enter, and walk alongside the house. At the rear, to your left, is the laundry room. Walk inside, and if you look above the washer/dryer area you’ll see a 2-door cabinet.
- Inside the cabinet is a brown plastic basket. And under that is where you’ll find the treasure! (Or if somebody beat you to it, just my keys.)
The solid key is for my gate (which faces onto the rear alley), the key with three cutouts opens the door to my apartment.
IMPORTANT: Please return the keys to the same spot when you’re done so others can find them.